A season of dirt and dust will take the shine away from any well maintained home, or business. No matter how wonderful your choice of paint or siding, the collective dirt and dust in the air is constantly conspiring to ruin that look over time. In addition, patios, decks, outdoor entertainment areas and the houses exterior often need some TLC after the Fall and Winter hard weather conditions. As summer approaches and the weather is getting warmer, all of us home-owners are looking forward to enjoying our outdoors for parties, BBQs and sunny Sunday afternoons with the family.
Often home-owners turn to power washers to clean these areas. They can be very effective but at time also very dangerous if not used properly or without much concern for safety.
Power Washers often come in many varieties and of which are not created equal. Differences in these machines can include size, pressure, and use of hot or cold water, power source or even use of detergents. The capacity of these units is measured cleaning units, therefore the higher the cleaning units: the more powerful the machine. With this in mind, when it comes to power washing, keep in mind the following safety tips:
- Clear away furniture or other obstacles that may trip you while cleaning
- Keep children, pets, and other family away from the area while cleaning to limit any potential debris hitting them
- Wear good protective eye and ear protection
- Start off slowly using the power washer until you become comfortable with it, then adjust the nozzle to find the best setting to clean the area
- Keep the pressure washer wand 10-12 inches away from the cleaning surface
- Begin in the farthest area of the cleaning surface and work your way back/out to avoid any slipping on the wet surface
With that being said, “a little work” can quickly turn into an enormous undertaking when you don’t have the right tools with you. If ever you feel uncomfortable using the pressure washer, stop and consider hiring a professional. It is much better to make that investment rather than damage your home or risk injury! Call Dynamic Gutters and Exteriors – our professional and experienced power washing team can come to you with the best power washer for the job with the right attachments to do in minutes what would usually take hours!