Spring is approaching and that means it’s time for Spring Cleaning! As we all tend to focus on the interior of our homes, or organizing our closets or throwing away items we don’t need, take time to inspect and take care of the exterior of the home. Not only does the exterior of the home provide curb appeal, but it protects the interior from the natural elements year round! Fall and Winter weather especially can take a toll on the exterior of your home, in particular your gutters, windows and roof.
Find below our quick exterior home maintenance checklist, as well as some tips to exterior maintenance to help your house (and your wallet) for the long run!
- Inspect and look for siding panels that are lose, cracked or worn.
- Check your foundation for moisture and cracks that are new or expanding.
- Check your sidewalks or walkways for cracks and lifting.
- Inspect your steps, including wood or concrete, that need repair.
- Pressure wash the exterior of the home, including the deck.
Exterior Windows :
- Wash your windows fully, either with soap and water or pressure-washing machine.
- Check your windows for any leaks, and add a fresh caulk to them to ensure a tight seal.
- Inspect the glass for any cracks.
- Check the insulation around your windows to ensure none of it is popping out.
- Check your gutters for any clogs, due from fall or winter natural elements or if your home is near allot of trees
- Clean your gutters
- Put a hose in your gutters and run water to check the gutters are pitched properly for drainage and that downspouts aren’t clogged.
- Inspect downspouts and extensions to ensure they are in good shape, and have no leaks
- To prevent damage, the downspout needs to be free of debris so it can release water three feet from your home’s foundation
Take good care of the home exterior then, and it will take good care of you in return. If you need any help with gutter cleaning or other exterior cleaning, feel free to contact us at 604-210-6474 or fill out our quote form online! We would be happy to help!